Monday, August 28, 2006

Travel

My flight from Charlotte to Chattanooga was cancelled. So by the time I finally made it to my old junior high pal Gwen's house, it was pretty late. Since she had to get up at 5:00 the next morning, she simply shoved a Dos Equis in my hand and pointed to my room. That's a good kind of friend to have.

This is the first trip I've taken in years without my laptop. I wasn't sure how that would feel. The first night at Gwen's, I dreamed about seeing it lying open on a table in her house. I went over to it, and in my dream I thought: "That's funny that I was so worried about being without it, because it must have been here with me all along." The dream made me feel good–like somehow all the heart and soul I had put into the computer was (in some form) still intact inside me, even 3,000 miles away from it.