Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Prawns in Hydrochloric Acid*














photo by Linda Davick

We went to West Portal and saw *Scoop this afternoon at 5:00. Fun. But as fun as Manhattan Murder Mystery, which I never remember reading anything at all about? Maybe; maybe not. I think people are just starting to like Woody Allen again, and are raving about every new movie he makes, which they should have been doing all along.

Oh! But you were asking what my favorite Woody Allen movies are. Crimes and Misdemeanors is way up there, along with Annie Hall and Manhattan.

I was in such a good mood when we got home that I decided to go for a jog on the beach. The tide chart said it wouldn't be dark until 9:22. Around 8:15 I was walking up to the boardwalk from the beach, and I saw Tom drive up and park.

He said there had been an earthquake a few minutes earlier, and that he had driven down to try to find me, bearing in mind my ardent and somewhat irrational fear of tsunamis. I hadn't even felt the quake–maybe because I was on sand. But it's true: I dream of tsunamis all the time. I have a great fear of the ocean, along with a great love of the ocean.

e-mail from Aggles: Have you always been fearful of tsunami’s or is this a recent thing ‘cuz of the big Indonesian tsunami?

It's really more a fascination with them. Kind of morbid. Like some people being fascinated by train wrecks/car accidents.