Saturday, August 12, 2006

Bruschetta Phenomenale















photo by Linda Davick


Guys, you are not going to believe this. I cooked something again. (Remember? I told you that I had the $3 bruschetta with my pal Sal at Puccini & Pinetti?) Today I decided to try making it myself, even though I had a box of 4 frozen Bambino Trader Joe's Pizza Greco in the freezer.

Although I bought all the ingredients at Safeway, it came to a lot more than $3. In fact, our total bill was over $100 (but we did buy a few other groceries not listed below). So maybe you should skip the recipe and just stop by Puccini & Pinetti between 4:00 and 6:00.

• 1 loaf Grace Baking Italian Country Bread
• 2 large heirloom tomatoes, one red, one yellow, chopped
• fresh basil, chopped (handful)
• 1 sweet onion, chopped
• 5 garlic cloves, pressed
• salt & pepper
• tablespoon olive oil
• some oregano from a jar, one big shake (I didn't have fresh)
• little ball of Italian mozzarella cheese cut into pieces
• parsley
• Ironstone Obsession / 2005 Symphony ($6.99 on sale)

Slice bread. Toast in 375-degree oven.
Mix everything except the cheese and parsley in a bowl.
After 7 minutes, pull the toast out.
Spoon mixture from bowl on toast.
Arrange cheese on top.
Bake 7 more minutes.
Garnish with parsley.
Uncork Ironstone 2005 Symphony; pour.