Thursday, April 13, 2006

Money and My Mom

When my mom moved into the assisted living apartment, we needed to sell her car. I emailed Susan, another pal from jr. high, to ask her if she knew anyone who might be interested in buying it. She said her daughter Marie might be interested. I drove over with all the paperwork, and Our Franklin, Marie's dad, went over the car with a fine-toothed comb. Marie drove it and decided that she was interested in buying it. I asked her to think about it, and to make me an offer. She thought about it for a day or two, and called me back.

"How does $900 sound?" she asked. "That sounds fine," I said. Then I remembered that I should probably check with my mom, since it was her car after all. I told mom that Marie had offered $900 for the car. My mom said, "Oh. I never expected to get THAT much for it." "What would you like me to sell it for?" "$700 would be fine." So I had to call Marie back and ask if she would still be interested at the new price.