Thursday, March 10, 2011

Today's 10-Minute "Write"


Our prompt today is this photo by Jane Underwood


That's me up in the window. I'm holding the manuscript I sent off today, giving it one last look. (I had emailed a copy yesterday; and I mailed the hard copy at the P.O. today.)

I look up and over toward the park. Is the windmill turning? If the windmill is turning I take that as a sign that it's going to be a good day. No, the windmill isn't turning. In spite of that fact the day turns out to be a better one than yesterday.

Writing is harder than I thought, and I can see why verse–or writing in rhyme–is discouraged.

When I woke up at 5:30 a.m. yesterday, my wise voice told me: "Spend a day reading Dr. Suess." My wise voice gets dumber as the day wears on, and later in the day it told me, "Reading Dr. Suess is silly. It's not work. It's fun. You should not waste your time. What if Tom saw you reading Dr. Suess? What if there are still ants in the Dr. Suess book?" (When I got the book from Amazon, I swear there were ants in it.)

I just now got the book out of the cabinet and I see that "Dr. Suess" is in fact spelled "Dr. Seuss." It's a heavy volume that contains 13 stories by The Doctor.

I got my sister's comments on the manuscript back this evening. She had 5 good criticisms, the fifth being:

Pages 28-29
The rhythm in the last line is so off that I'm doubting you really feel the sentiment that you are trying to express.


p.s. Last night's haul above.