Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Finding Things






























There's a nice show at the de Young (Olmec: Colossal Masterworks of Ancient Mexico). Big rounded shapes, mysterious hieroglyphics.

We parked in the park right beside the museum. As we walked up the entrance, I was stunned to find myself drooling. "Tom, if you ever notice I'm drooling, will you tell me?" I'm hoping it was because I had been looking forward to seeing this show for a whole week.

We hit all the gift shops before entering the show, but no Mary Ann.

Behind the big stone carvings, there were some huge photos of archaeologists searching for and digging out some of the pieces on display. Seeing the photos gave me the shivers–the same kind of feeling I get when I find a beautiful shard or a piece of pottery on the beach. I took a picture of the glass I found last night (above) along with a photo of a monument from the exhibit called Small Feline. The little cat is actually almost 4 feet high.