Monday, May 01, 2006

Song for May

If I download one song or piece of music today, what should it be and who is it by? You don't have to name your favorite song of all time–just a song that's sticking in your mind at the moment.





Dorothy
My song, which is playing through my mind right now, is Boz Skaggs' Easy Living.

Von
Easy!
Artist: Chris Rice
Album: Smell the Color 9
Title: Life Means so Much

Emmy
FUNNY, AS I WAS GETTING ON THE COMPUTER TO READ MY EMAILS, I WAS HUMMING THE TUNE TO "EVERLASTING LOVE" DO YOU KNOW THE SONG? ..... "FROM THE VERY START, OPEN UP YOUR HEART"........ i looked up the words to the song!!! i love the words!!! i have come to the conclusion that it was probably Robert Knight who recorded the song (that i remembered).

Sally
Hard for me to name just one!

I love this one lately: "Au Fond du Temple Saint" from "The Pearlfishers" written by George Bizet, recorded by opera singers, but also there's a fun version recorded by David Byrne on his CD "Grown Backwards."

Also I can't stop playing a Fred Astaire CD; "I Can't Be Bothered Now" is a fun song, but I also like "Top Hat, White Tie and Tails." Can you tell I'm spending most of my time at the nursing home these days? These are things I play for my dad. Ha!

Tom
"Can't Buy Me Love" The Beatles

Cheryl
"Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" by McFadden And Whitehead
I heard it on a recent trip to Houston and again here in NYC and it's been in my head ever since:)

Susan L.
"No One Knows My Name" by Gillian Welch. I like the heartfeltness of this song, especially when she says, " ...sometimes I have a lonesome thought in my mind." It's about how she was adopted, doesn't know her father's name, and that no one knows her true name.

Susan E.
Monday Monday by the mama's and the papa's

Linda H.
My song is "Don't Fence Me In," by (I think) The Sons of The Pioneers. My dad was born and raised in Montana and loves this song and it totallytotallytotally fits as a mantra for his life. My sisters and I have just contacted Hospice to care for him (he just turned 90 in February and until 6 months ago was still going to his office every day to work as a petroleum geologist), so he's on my mind constantly, as you might understand.

Gwen
what a hard question. One song that I think of a lot is by Joni Mitchell and I'm not sure of the name but I think it is "I Wish I Had A River". its about skating away on a river. i heard one DJ say it is a song for people who hate Christmas and I never thought of it that way. (It starts, "It's comin' on Christmas...")

Sal is back
Pal, This is the operatic version I play for Dad. It's beautiful, too.
Les Pêcheurs de perles, opera in 3 acts Au Fond du Temple Saint (Duet)
Composed by Georges Bizet
Performed by Czech Symphony Orchestra
with John Oakman
Conducted by Julian Bigg

Barbara
My favorite song right now is: Complainte pour Ste. Catherine by Kate & Ann McGarrigle,
it is about 25 years old!!! But I still love it.

Larry
Check out "Max" by Paolo Conti. Actually, "Dragon" or "Hemingway" are good, too. He sings mostly in Italian but mixes in French and English. Sometimes he sort of growls instead of singing, and sometimes---but you'll see.

Robin
"Cecilia" by Simon and Garfunkle. Because a friend named his new baby Roman Atticus, we were talking about wonderful girl baby names...and Cecilia was top of my list.

Elizabeth
100 Years by Five for Fighting. I'm thinking of the lyrics as I see lots of change related to aging and watch my girls grow up.... "15 - there's still time for you / Time to buy and time to lose / 15 - there's never a wish better than this / When you've only got 100 years to live."

John
Here's a video.
Eliane Lust is the pianist
L'Isle Joyeuse, 1901
Debussy

Lee
Anything by Djando Reinhardt, but especially stuff he did with Stephan Grapelli. There is nothing in the world like Romani (politically incorrectly known as “gypsy”) music. A great movie to watch if you love this music is “Latcho Drom.” It’s not about him, but you’ll see why he plays the kind of music he plays. What an incredible, incredible thing to experience both the movie and the music.

Aggles
My two favorite work CD’s are De Profundis (The Cracow Klezmer Band), Immortal Egypt (Hossam Ramzy), and when I really gotta crank it, Oye Como Va! (Tito Puente.) I guess that’s really three, not two. Oh well. Counting was never my strong suit!

Georgia
I have been hearing Bad Day by Daniel Powter in my head a lot lately - I think mostly because he was on Ellen Degeneres last week and the whole audience was singing this song.

Where is the moment when needed the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on

You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way off line
You're falling to pieces everytime
And I don't need no carryin' on

Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

Our Franklin
"Fifty Miles of Elbow Room" (traditional?) Probably the version by the Red Clay Ramblers, but Dry Branch Fire Squad has a pretty good cut of it, too.

This is not my favorite song, but I likes it...and it's been on my mind whilst I sheet rocked a big hole in Marie's ceiling. Maybe it's the dust mask acoustics, but I can sort of sing it without too much complaint from innocent bystanders.

Jean
My song would be "Wishin 'n' Hopin'" by Dusty Springfield.

Mr. Anonymous
a Nat King Cole song that now I can't think of the name of...."Orange kind of sky?/something".....(At one point it goes "wham, bam, alakazam"!)

Ms. Anonymous
for me, today anything from Roy Orbison's greatest hits. Crying/Love Hurts (you can tell I can't remember names of songs) or Uptown.

Roger
The piece of music I would download: "Sailing" by Christopher Cross. He had this voice like vanilla ice cream -- but thankfully, NOT Vanilla Ice -- when I was a kid. I remember when my older sister and I stayed up late one Friday night to see him on Midnight Special; he was overweight and had this scraggly beard. The whole nation tuned in (it was the "American Idol" of my childhood) and seemed kind of let down -- like, how could this BEAST make such lovely music? Why couldn't he look like Shaun Cassidy, gosh darnit?! Whatever happened to Christopher Cross?

Tom and Elaine [[TvD]]
Actually I have two songs. The first one is by Paolo Conte, it's French. I love the entire CD (The Best of Paolo Conte) really, but I guess what stands out the most is the fourth song on the CD called Boogie. It just makes me want to grab Elaine and dance! It gives me a wonderful feeling. The other one is by Rod Stewart from the CD The Great American Songbook, and my favorite song there is The Very Thought of You. It too is nice to dance to.

Ken (The Doctor)
My song: "Give Yourself To Love"
Artist: Kate Wolf

Lyrics attached....

Kind friends all gathered 'round, there's something I would say:
That what brings us together here has blessed us all today.
Love has made a circle that holds us all inside;
Where strangers are as family, loneliness can't hide.

You must give yourself to love if love is what you're after;
Open up your hearts to the tears and laughter,
And give yourself to love, give yourself to love.

I've walked these mountains in the rain and learned to love the wind;
I've been up before the sunrise to watch the day begin.
I always knew I'd find you, though I never did know how;
Like sunshine on a cloudy day, you stand before me now.

So give yourself to love if love is what you're after;
Open up your hearts to the tears and laughter,
And give yourself to love, give yourself to love.

Love is born in fire; it's planted like a seed.
Love can't give you everything, but it gives you what you need.
And love comes when you're ready, love comes when you're afraid;
It'll be your greatest teacher, the best friend you have made.

So give yourself to if love is what you're after;
Open up your hearts to the tears and laughter,
And give yourself to love, give yourself to love.

Give yourself to love, if love is what you're after;
Open up your hearts to the tears and laughter,
And give yourself to love, give yourself to love.


Janet
By the way, I did ask Jim about "his song" for your blog and he said, "That would have to be anything by Alison Krauss." We were on the same wave length because I was going to choose "The Lucky One" from her Union Station Live recording. We just bought her latest CD, Lonely Runs Both Ways, which won an Emmy this year, and it too is a keeper! However, you have to be a bluegrass fan.

Lucy
the song I would download at the moment is:
Rockin in the free world by Neil Young and whatever band he was collaborating with at the time.

Milton
The Man I Love by Etta James

F*cking Anonymous
I'm tarred sorta, but OK---opened the window tonight and blasted music like a dumb college girl.
Love Emmy Lou Harris and Mark Knopfler All the Roadrunning. Have you heard it?
Beachcombing is the opening song, and one called This Is Us, which I heard on the radio (which caused me to buy the CD of course, cause I still love to buy music in stores) is really nice. Others are good too. Give it a try. Then like the 60s man I listened to the White Album. Good all over again. Strange I never liked it much at the time. Nice tonight.