Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Shocking Lunch

Here's one of my favorite recipes for lunch:

Ingredients
1 can black beans, Cuban style
1 can tomatoes, Mexican style

Directions
Open cans. Pour into bowl and stir. Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes on high. Remove immediately. Are you in a good mood? Do you have all the time in the world? Then add a dollop of sour cream, and pour some salsa on top for garnish. Eat with spoon.

Work for an hour and a half. Take a nap for 1/2 hour. Go back to work.

Today, though, I decided to try something special. I got out the little container of spinach potato frittata I had bought yesterday at Trader Joe's. It took 3 minutes in the microwave, but it was worth it. I cannot begin to tell you how satisfying it was. And it worked incredibly well with the garnishes. But then . . .
Is this not one of the
healthiest-looking
labels you have ever
seen?





I happened to turn the container upside-down. According to the Nutrition Facts, I had eaten not one, but three and one half servings. I learned that I had consumed 650 mg of cholesterol, and over 1000 calories. I then read the ingredients, which began with Swiss cheese and eggs. Butter and sugar were included, as well as the spinach and potatoes.

To compare: One container of Amy's veggie loaf with gooey gravy, mashed potatoes, and peas & carrots contains 0 mg of cholesterol and 280 calories.

Moral: Don't ever bother to read Nutrition Facts if you've already finished eating