Friday, November 06, 2009

Finally.

Mary Ann, I finally got to hear you read your story, Halloween Hell, tonight at Books, Inc. It was so much fun. When you signed your story, you noticed that I had underlined in the book and I felt a little sheepish about it. Tom will never underline in a book or fold back the page to mark his place.

I only underlined the parts that made me laugh the loudest, some of which begin:

1. "Who will be installing these registers?" I innocently asked.

2. In October, the lid came off the coffin ...

3. I stopped sleeping completely about October 15.

It cracks me up when I think about how we met. You had arranged for Don Asmussen to come to Borders. Remember how I cornered you and begged to use your phone when it was over? I think I was the only one without a cell phone and I had no idea how I was going to get home–but I didn't care because I got to see the Bad Reporter in person. (And I met you. But I didn't realize it at the time.) That was three years ago!