Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Summer



























©Linda Davick

Yesterday I jogged 3 1/2 miles in my light-weight down jacket. I love summer weather here.

Phone conversation with Mom this morning:

Me: Hello?

Mom:
Hi Hon. I'm ready to spend some money.

Me:
Good! What on?


Mom:
One of those things you wear around your neck that tells you what time it is.

Me:
Oh! You mean a little pocket watch on a chain? A little clock on a necklace?


Mom:
Yes! That's it! I think it costs around $15 a month.

Me:
Do you mean one of those things you wear around your neck, so that if you fall you can contact someone to help you?


Mom:
Yes! That's it. I read in the paper that soon everyone will own one.

Me:
Hmmm. Does anyone you know have one now? So we can find out who makes it?


Mom:
Yes! Let's see. She lives on the first floor. Sue? No....

Me:
Marie? Marie Davis?


Mom:
Yes!

Me:
Do you happen to have her phone number handy so I can call her?


Mom:
Yes! Hold on. She's in apt. 142 ... She'd love to hear from you. We would need to find out about a holder too. She keeps it in a holder, a little case, attached to her belt.

Me:
Is it a cell phone, Mom?


Mom:
Yes! It's a cell phone. That's what it is!

All I can think of is how much I want an iPhone; how life-changing I know it will be, and I realize that Mom probably feels the same way about Marie's cell phone. Aggles thinks if Mom gets a cell phone that she'll lose it immediately. But if she does, so what? At least she will have had the thrill of possessing one.