Friday, April 06, 2012

Our Man in New York



















From: Jamie 
Date: April 6, 2012 5:05:11 AM PDT 
Subject: CosmoLatina 
To: Linda 

Linda I loved this group! Especially my editor. The most collaborative bunch I've ever worked with ... We shipped yesterday ....

But more importantly: Linda look at that tie I'm wearing that Mike D. gave me! Have you ever in your life seen anything better than that?????? 

How did I ever get so lucky as to have Jamie for a friend? He spent last Saturday shooting subway photos for a picture I'm doing, and acted excited about it. He didn't just shoot the inside of a car or two, he followed the route the story took, beginning in Brooklyn at Borough Hall, riding to Times Square, and on to Grand Central Station.

Another example of Jamie's sleuthing: The story mentions a MetroCard. I had found photos on Google of the cards, but was puzzled as to why the upper right hand corner is clipped off. I asked Jamie and he found out:

... the second attendant I asked smiled the biggest smile, and said: "I know. I know why the corner is clipped. Do you want me to tell you? It's wonderful, and it'll be so obvious to you when you hear it." Linda I was beside myself! I thought he was going to change his mind and not tell me! But he said, "It's for the visually-impaired-- the corner is clipped so that they can feel it and know which way the card needs to face to swipe it in the machine as they're entering the turnstile in the subway."

Isn't that fantastic? I'm just over the moon for whoever thought to do that. There's not one person in my day-to-day who has that kind of sense!

Many notes accompanied the photos. A couple more:

Linda the new modern car design with the blue bench seats inside has a red dotted light circle/no. sign of the car on front. We get excited when we see those lights because we know it's a new car. Well, I do.

Not sure I got a pic that showed the floor of the new subway cars... it's black linoleum with specks. If you need an image, it's no trouble. Black linoleum with specks sounds awful, but it looks really nice. And I can't stress enough how clean they keep the cars these days. It's nearly a civilized experience, that MTA.

A few of Jamie's photos:

I particularly loved this photo (the necklace). I must have one!