Monday, April 23, 2012

Office Fridge

p.s. Winter was back yesterday, and the beach was covered with glass



















Both my agent Rubin and Allyn's partner Andrea were speaking at the Seattle SCBWI Conference this weekend. SCBWI stands for Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.

It was nice because this particular SCBWI group posted a running blog as the conference progressed, and it was lots of fun to read some of the things that Andrea had to say minutes after she spoke. Here's one thing I loved: "Emotionally engaging doesn't mean sappy," she said. "It means it speaks to a reader's heart somehow."

But the one thing I read that really spoke to my heart was this: Andrea said that at the office, she and Allyn keep their fridge stocked with white wine and delicious cheeses. Yet another clue that I had landed with the correct publishing company.

Thinking about this in the car later:

Me: "I can't believe that Andrea says they keep their office fridge stocked with white wine and delicious cheeses all the time, can you?"

Tom: "How do you think they stay motivated? By looking at people's manuscripts and drawings? I don't think so."