Sunday, January 15, 2012

Adventures in Reading



















I bought this beautiful book at Kinokuniya. This morning when I woke up, I "read" it before I got out of bed. Being that it's in Japanese, I got the meaning from the illustrations and I was enchanted.

Later this afternoon I was looking at the book again and realized it had page numbers. It was then that I realized I had "read" the book backwards. I had read it from left to right, but the book actually started at the back and read toward the front. So tomorrow I'll "read" it again and let you know how it is.

I have a book called A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD by Jennifer Egan. I let it go for months because I never got engaged in it. Last night at dinner I ran out of things to read so I picked it up again.

I read chapter 8, which is nothing less than a work of art (La Doll, her party, her ideas for the General. Her daughter Lulu). Then Chapter 9, Where Jules interviews Kitty. Fantastic. Is it all over now or will the magic continue through chapters 10, 11, 12, and 13? Don't tell me.

But do tell me your latest adventure in reading.