Saturday, July 28, 2007

Elizabeth Edwards: A Human From Earth














At the end of the day, Elizabeth Edwards answered lots of questions from the audience. She was very direct.

(Added August 4) Here's an example of something she said that's a little more substantive than telling me who her favorite children's illustrators are. I got really nervous when someone asked:

I'm really curious, given your outspoken views about gay marriage, how your faith impacts your politics.


Elizabeth
: ... I have a somewhat odd version of God. I don't have an intervening God. I don't think I can pray to him–or her–to cure me of cancer, though I appreciate other people's prayers ... I believe we're given a set of guidelines, and that we're obligated to live our lives with a view to those guidelines. I don't believe we should live our lives that way because we have some promise of eternal life, but because that's what's right.

Here's a video of Elizabeth Edward's whole talk.

Later there was a party at the Children's Museum. There she was, standing by the entry.

Me (in her ear): Thank you for restoring my faith in politics.

Elizabeth
(beaming): What do you do?

Me:
I'm an illustrator.


Elizabeth:
What kind of illustrations do you do?

Me:
Mostly children's things.

Elizabeth:
I love children's books. Two of my favorite children's book illustrators are David Shannon and William Joyce.