Sunday, June 25, 2006

Miracle














I'll cut to the chase. The miracle is that you can read this phenomenal story I'm talking about online, in LARGE TYPE, for free. But it's not light or humorous. I think the only way I was able to read it was a bit at a time every day as I was drying my hair.

Dear Roger,
The funniest thing happened--I read this story in the New Yorker called
Dimension by Alice Munro. I just looked it up online so I could tell you what issue it was in. (June 6). It was an incredible story–the kind that is so mysterious you can't figure out how it was ever written by a human being. Like that story by George Saunders called Sea Oak. I threw the magazine away but then I kept thinking about it.

A couple of weeks went by before it dawned on me that the book you had mailed me called
Runaway was by Alice Munro. For some reason I had thought Alice Munro = modern Zora Neale Hurston.

Hi, Linda:
I MUST read that Munro story. I tried to begin it on the plane, but that illustration that accompanied it was pretty frightening -- not something you want to see at 50,000 feet.

I hope you guys are eating well!!!
Roger


But back to the miracle. You'll be relieved to know that I googled Alice Munro and discovered that she wasn't Alice Walker. Then, when I went to her bibliography page, I discovered 13 whole short stories you can click on and read on your screen, or print out and read while you're drying your hair. People, do you read me? Is this not miraculous?

I just googled "sea oak george" because I wasn't sure how to spell "Saunders," and look what I found. Try to tell me that God does not dwell within your computer.