Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve


I had a great gurls' lunch at the Presidio Social Club, but nonetheless. Yesterday was extremely hard.

Last night I woke up at 1:30 a.m., and couldn't go back to sleep for an hour. I had an old sick feeling about work that I hadn't had in a long time, and a low-down feeling about other things, too.

But then! I woke up again at 5:00 a.m. I felt totally refreshed and healed. I had just had a dream about being at a beach–not our real beach here–but a beach I seemed to remember from other dreams. It's kind of a crowded beach with a long boardwalk and lots of people, but when I walk out over the dunes I find sea glass by the handfuls. In the dream last night it was mostly light violet glass. Sea glass, and big light violet pieces of rock.

Crazy! All I can say is that when I woke up the second time, I felt that I had experienced that kind of sleep that knits up the raveled sleeve of care. (As my mom and Shakespeare used to say.)

It's the best New Year's Eve. It's cold and rainy. I ran down to the beach anyway this afternoon and found a little bit of glass. As I was looking, I thought, "This is nutty–I'm trying to recreate my dream."

I'm staying home tonight and reading The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing. I'm on my second can of Sofia. I can see the fire through the glass door.