Thursday, December 18, 2008

Two Nice Things





























Nice Thing #1


At 4:30 this morning I took Tom to the airport. I was feeling a little strange all day. Then ... the doorbell rang, and I found a mysterious package outside on the porch. I saw Mari's name on the return address and ripped into it with a big smile on my face.

You may not know this, but Mari makes things other than cookies. And this is one example. I'm actually showing what she silk-screened on the back of the apron–but as you can see, the fish on the front are pure delight.

So my mood started to change. I knew I had class tonight ... and that if only I could strike up a conversation with someone, my loneliness might go away completely for awhile.

Nice Thing #2

On Dec 18, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Jamie wrote:

linda those beach finds in the candy cups are the most gorgeous thing I've seen in weeks. I just drug my co-worker, Dora, over to my screen to look. We are delighted here at InTouch magazine!

From: Linda
To: Jamie
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:20:32 -0800


Aw, thanks, Mr. Lipps. What's the latest from InTouch? Something special that nobody knows, that I can casually drop into conversation tonight at class.

From: Jamie
Date: December 18, 2008 1:23:19 PM PST
To: Linda


former child star Jodi Sweetin, of TV's "Full House", is accused of being a DANGER TO HER DAUGHTER.

Thank you, Jamie. Problem solved.

8 comments:

stray said...

What class are you taking? What city is that mag in?

Linda said...

Stray: I go to Feldenkrais every Thurs. night. Jamie's in NY at the moment; he'll be returning to Berlin in Jan.

Namowal said...

Feldenkrais? Is that sorta like yoga? I can be ignorant.
That is a sweet apron, by the way.

Linda said...

Namo: I had to consult Wikipedia myself:

It's a method that holds that there's no separation between mind and body--that learning to move better can improve your overall well-being ... Instead of working to change your physical body, they work with your nervous system ...

Does that tell you anything? It uses movement instead of stretching and holding like yoga. I feel lots better when I leave than when I walk in, that's for sure.

mari said...

My sister-in-law, who is a physical therapist, knows a lot about Feldenkrais. It is interesting. I've been doing mat Pilates for a few years now and as much as this sounds infomercial-ish, it changed my life.

Glad you liked the apron. Now go cook me something, woman.

Linda said...

Mari: I have the apron hanging in my studio so I can look at it.

How did mat Pilates change your life?

mari said...

Linda, Mat pilates changed my life when my friend Sharon, who has suffered from rhumatoid arthritis for most of her life told me about it. So I got Brooke Siler's The Pilates Body book, and couldn't believe what I was reading. So simple, yet, it made the whole mind-body connection very logical and tangible because the emphasis is on proper alignment and strengthening the core. I started taking classes with a retired ballet dancer who also is an expert at determining what each individual's weakness is, and because I spend so much time sitting at the computer, she found ways to help me open my hips and ease the discomfort in my lower back. Eventually I incorporated a lot of the Pilates principles into my daily life and movement and have found that I enjoy other things, like yoga and gardening and skiing so much more because I really know where the movement needs to originate from and how to protect myself better from injury. As much as I like yoga, I find that instructors often emphasize how you're feeling personally too much over what you're feeling physically. I think that if I'm feeling physically well, then my mind frees up much more and it's easier to do everything else.

Anyway, check out Siler's book. I think it's the best. And if you want to try some videos, I think Stott Pilates are the best. They seem too easy at first, but that's the thing about pilates; it feels easy but it's really not.

Hope this answers your question!

Linda said...

Mari, thanks for this great info. I'm reserving Siler's book at the 'brary now.