Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Mouse

















Today I was working on another mouse animation. I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I ignored it.

About 20 minutes later, I saw the thing run and squeeze under my door into the living room. It was a real mouse. In my house. I grabbed my camera first, and then a tupperware box to place on top of him, and a piece of cardboard to slide under the box.

I talked softly and reassuringly to him but couldn't get the mouse to come out from where he was hiding. So I opened the front door and left the room, thinking maybe he'd leave of his own volition. I remembered reading on Sally's blog that she had discovered a mouse in her house last year. I went back and re-read her post so I would know what to do.

It's funny how when you're reading about a mouse in somebody else's house, you don't really comprehend the gravity of the situation. I had thought at the time that her mouse looked cute! The fact that she was having company for dinner that evening and that the mouse could have jumped up into the eggplant dish never even crossed my mind.

Tom called on his way home and I told him about the mouse. I told him I had found Sally's Hav-a-Heart trap on Amazon and was getting ready to order it. He made a u-turn in the middle of Stanyon Street and doubled back to Cole Hardware. He said we had to have the trap today; and I could tell he didn't think I was the brightest bulb in the chandelier for leaving the front door open.

I put organic peanut butter in the traps. Crunchy, my fave. But I was dismayed to read that you were supposed to place the traps on your counter top and well as on your floor. Can mice really climb up on counters? I just finished a snoring-mouse animation, but I never dreamed that a mouse could climb up on a real bed and get under the covers. But if a mouse can climb up on a counter, there are no limits to where he can go. Let's just hope it is a he. More tomorrow.