Friday, November 21, 2008

Gumbo

I have $500 in cash, so I took Tom out to dinner tonight at Cajun Pacific. A few months ago he had assured me that Obama could not win. He wanted Obama to win but he was sure Obama couldn't win.

Me: How much do you want to bet?

Tom: Five dollars.

Me: Oh please. Put your money where your mouth is.

Tom: OK. Five hundred dollars.

We shook on it.

Today I'm overwhelmed by happiness at this news: Word of Cabinet appointments by President-elect Barack Obama flew fast and furious late Friday afternoon: Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY), his archrival for the Democratic nomination, is his choice for secretary of state...

I know there's a lot of politics (ha!) involved; but still, it's my dream come true. That they'll work together.

On another note, I knew as I was straightening my hair that tonight–going out with Tom–would be one of the best nights of my life. For no reason other than we're still together after having met in Whitney Leland's drawing class in 1973, and we're both still alive. (My dad died when he was 48 and my mom was 46.) We still like each other most of the time. We're still shy. But we like wine and gumbo and movies. I'm also happy because A Christmas Tale opened today at the Bridge, at the edge of our neighborhood right down Geary.

Good night.