Sunday, November 12, 2006

Scenes From A Marriage










old photo
by David Luttrell



Are you under 40? Stop reading.

Rules:
1. Tom and I choose a night.
2. Every week on that night we get in bed at the same time.
3. But it has to be before 10:00.
4. We turn off the light, turn off the TV, turn off the computer.
5. No pajamas allowed.
6. We must remain in this state for at least one hour. Once that hour is over, we're free to get up and move about the cabin. We can go back to work if necessary.
Note: Do not try this at home. It won't work unless you're paying a counselor and he's threatening to stop seeing you unless you do it.

Saturday is the night we chose. Here's Scene 1 from last night:
A little background: I had put nail polish on that morning for the 2nd time in my life.

Linda: Feel my fingernails.
Tom: Oh. They feel like the smooth plastic on those model cars. Did you ever buy model cars? You know, those model cars in boxes that you'd buy at the drugstore?
Me: No. Only monsters.
Tom: You never had model cars?
Me: No, only monsters. Same thing–you'd put them together and paint them. Did you ever build monsters?
Tom: No. Those were after my time.
Me: But you know what I'm talking about, don't you?

THUMP!

Tom: What was that?
Me: I don't know! Do you believe in spirits?
Tom: No.
Me: Then maybe you should go investigate.
Tom: I should go investigate?
Me: Yes–you're the man. It's your responsibility.
Tom: But I don't have any clothes on!