Saturday, November 11, 2006

I Care.

















Maira Kalman



Have you seen Maggie Mason's new book No One Cares What You Had for Lunch? It looks like a great book; but I want to make it clear that I care what you had for lunch. I really care. I love knowing what you had for lunch. And breakfast. And dinner. And snacks.

a recent e-mail that I've read over and over: I had a good pasta dinner tonight, I wish you'd been here, I've never really cooked you a good dinner. And this was done on a hot plate: cilantro, garlic, and shiitake mushrooms, cooked in butter, over butterfly/bowtie pasta, bread to push with and beer to drink. A little parmesan if you want it. Cilantro from my yard---the frost hasn't yet ruined it, I don't know why. My name is Cilantrogirl and I'm your waitress this evening.

an e-mail from this morning: I'm enjoying my last minutes of break time now. Happily sipping the jasmine tea that aunty Rose sent for me. It tasted like any other tea to me, but it certainly smells like jasmine, and I'm eating spicy nacho Doritos...
I was humming and swinging my legs while crunching the tortilla chips. Michael turned around and said, "Must be good."
Yes, indeed it was. Jasmine tea and Doritos turned out to be a good combination.

Now I'll tell you what I had for lunch because you'll want to know about this: Dr. Praeger's tex mex veggie burgers from Trader Joe's frozen food section. Unbelievable! Use a fresh sesame bun loaded with half a sliced avocado, Mendocino mustard, red onions, ketchup, lettuce, and jack cheese. A Speakeasy on the side. There are no microwave directions on the box–even so, we stuck the burgers in the microwave for 2 minutes; then 1 minute with cheese. Dr. Praeger puts boca burgers to shame.