Monday, November 20, 2006

My Baby's Back

















top: my adopted child

bottom: my natural baby


On October 20, 2005, I had to take my heart of hearts–my PowerBook G4–to the repair shop. The repair guy loaned me an old iBook to use until he could figure out what was wrong with my computer.

I attempted to bring my baby home several times, but in vain. Even after two transplants (hard drive, mother board), it still was not well. Meanwhile I used the adopted iBook every day and every night.

October 2006 arrived. Then–you guessed it–November. It had been more than a year, and I felt I had to move forward. I decided to let go of my natural child. Thanksgiving was almost here. I decided to give thanks for the loaner, and to make it my own. I gathered all my favorite stickers and lovingly stuck them on the adopted iBook to show it my appreciation.

The next day I had an e-mail from the repair guy. My natural baby had totally recovered. When would I like to come get it, and bring the loaner back to him?

This morning I went to pick up my baby. I asked if I could keep the loaner over Thanksgiving weekend, just in case. It's going to be hard to let go of my iBook, because now I find I love my adopted child every bit as much as I do my natural baby.

From: Aggles
Subject: Sticker shock
Date: November 21, 2006 6:42:11 AM PST
So will you turn in the loaner w/ all the stickers or will you try to take them off? Where did you get those stickers? Did you make them? Do I hafta call the police?