Thursday, October 25, 2012

Prompt: Something silly

Last night I was in the kitchen mixing a gin & tonic. Have you ever bought any of those limes that are covered with bumps? They're called kaffir limes, and talk about silly--they look absolutely idiotic--but that's not what this piece is about. However, if you ever run across a kaffir lime, buy it immediately.

Anyway, that's what I was doing when I heard Tom's phone ring. I couldn't really hear what he was saying, but did hear him exclaim, "The WORLD SERIES!"

"Who was that?" I asked, carrying my drink and plate back into the living room where the TV is.

"My eye surgeon. Calling to see how I was doing. I told him I was watching the game and he wanted to know what the score was. When I said 6-0, he asked, 'Who's playing?'"

"HE DID NOT!"

"He did."

"He must have just gotten out of surgery."

"No, in fact he said he was teaching dance lessons."

"DANCE LESSONS?"

"I kid you not."

"What KIND of dance?"

"I didn't ask."

This morning we drove across the bridge again for Tom's 8:00 next-day checkup with his eye surgeon. Around 8:30 Tom walked back into the waiting room and on the way to the car--after he had assured me that his eye was doing fine--I said, "Did you find out what kind of dance lessons?"

"Argentine tango. He's very serious about it. He teaches it several times a week and he also spends a lot of time making dance videos and performing. Eye surgery is just a hobby."