Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wham Bam RAM

turtle face by Josse Goffin


You won't believe what I did this evening. See those two green square thingies? I yanked them out of my computer and replaced them with two new ones that came in the mail today. Now I have twice as much RAM as I had before, and my computer is faster.

It took me longer than I thought to perform the operation because I wasn't aware that to get the new thingies to "pop into place," 30 pounds of pressure had to be applied. (I read that part later.)

After my first attempt, when I tried to turn my computer back on it made a noise like a car alarm. Of course I had waited until after 6 o'clock to start, and tech support was no longer around. I tried again. I tried again. Finally I shoved the tiny thingies in with every ounce of strength I had. I had thought that the thingies were very delicate, but apparently not.

My computer turned on then and was ready to go in a snap. I was frazzled and weepy and over-joyed. I went for a jog. The sun was setting. I found some glass. It was really too late to take a good photo but here I am anyway, and isn't it amazing?