Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Dinner With Jean


















left to right: me, Jean Gonick

It was lunch really, but it was so late in the day that it might as well have been dinner. We ate at this wonderful place called Sapore Italiano. We had a great time. We talked about boys, writing, drugs, family, food, doctors, shrinks, and the suicide net they're putting up on the GG Bridge.

When Jean warned me ahead of time that she didn't want to have her picture taken, I struck a deal with her. "OK," I says. "If you bring a photo of Mack, I'll leave you alone." (You remember Mack: the born-again Christian Republican cowboy who refuses to marry her and refers to people with shrinks as big crybabies.)

She agreed. I sat down. She handed me the photo. How should I put this? WOW. That's all I can say, and I'll say it again. WOW.