Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Writing Partner

This is why I was so excited to have Mary Ann for my writing partner this week. For the writing class we're given daily prompts. Today's prompt was "Alright, fine. Let's hear your explanation." We write for 10 minutes–12 minutes max–and hit the send button. Our partner changes every week. Here's what Mary wrote:

Alright, fine. Let's hear your explanation

I really have no explanation, except I was in a hurry and I dropped the
gun at that 7-11 store. I didn't know they had a video and I certainly
hadn't intended to point that silly Glock at the poor quivering cashier.
I was using it as a pointer and I was curious as to what kind of
candy bars they had stored behind the cash register. My sugar level
was down and candy would have helped ~ everyone knows that.

Of course each and every American carries a gun because it is our right.
It's smack dab there in the Constitution, you can't miss it.
Martha Washington and Jacqueline Kennedy were always heading
towards the shooting range. Jackie's gun was especially fashionable
in that soft mauve color. So I brought my gun inside the convenience
store because it was more convenient for me. So sue me.

I'm a card carrying member of the NRA, even though I only own about
6 guns. Most of my fellow members own at least 20 pistols and rifles.
I so admire that. I've tried to buy more guns but ever since I was in
the mental institution I've had to resort to purchasing the guns on the
internet. What a drag. But I still go into the macho gun stores and talk
to other gun owners ~ sometimes I wonder if they have been
institutionalized too because we sure speak the same language. Cool
people in gun stores, don't you agree?

It's a shame that my gun went off when I picked it up from the floor. I
certainly didn't mean to shoot the cashier and 7 of the customers. But
I won't go to jail because it is, after all, my inalienable right to carry a gun. Do you want one of these candy bars?