Sunday, January 01, 2012

Fudge Fitness

From: Katy
Date: December 31, 2011 3:00:00 PM PST
Subject: 20almost here12
To: Linda

Linda,

It's almost the New Year, it almost is. What are we to do? Sit back and watch it arrive, or go to bed early and let it arrive in the dark, with our eyes closed. I'm going to take the sleepy early route.

The other day a strange food thing happened, and since you're interested in food, you might need to know about this. In a Chinese restaurant, where I've been before, but where I go less than I used to because I like the Mexican place better, and because they always rush me at the Chinese place (Magic Wok), with What to drink? or What soup? even before I can take off my coat or sit down. I was welcomed, shown to a booth, smiled at by the usually speedy waitress. I was cold, I wanted hot tea and hot and sour soup. The waitress still hadn't spoken to me. Eventually she came out with something for the man in the booth facing mine. He was reading the Steve Jobs book and wore a big orange T on his shirt. She was carrying more than his order. She approached my table, Hot tea? You like hot tea? (Yes please) Hot and sour soup, you like hot and sour soup? (Yes, thank you.) And both were placed in front of me. I had ordered nothing but got exactly what I wanted. Linda, what happened? Please tell me. She did take my order for chicken in garlic sauce, at least she didn't go that far with mind reading magic. How did she know? She has never ever behaved in this way. I liked it, and I was dumbfounded, under her spell. I was not rational, I was unable to ask her how she just happened to have exactly what I wanted on her tray. Should I return to the Magic Wok on another day, as an experiment, to see what happens? Will you go with me? I may need a witness.

I hope all is well by you all. Happy New Year, with plenty of magic to go around.

Love,
Katy

---------

From: Linda
Date: December 31, 2011 4:09:34 PM PST
Subject: Re: 20almost here12
To: Katy

I love your Magic Wok story. Yes, you should go back. To me it sounds like the waitress has decided that she knows you. How nice. We don't have a magical place like that here yet, and it's been 12 years.

I'm tard, Katy, rilly tard. I may not be able to do anything tonight. I had an egg sandwich for breakfast (real eggs) on good white bread toast with butter and a little onion. No lettuce because Tom had not come back from the farmers' market. But it was good, rilly good. But jesus, that was 6 hours ago! I had not had lunch and just now I had many many many salty pretzels and many cheese slices and several glassees of wine, and a big scoop of peanut butter and some raisins and walnuts for health.

Now how will I ever do my situps or go for a walk? It won't be possible I'm afraid. I'm reading a book called Blueprint for Building Better Girls by Elissa Schappell. On my phone at night in bed. Last night I fell asleep to it. I've started getting that reading bug again--a lot of it's because of Lucille who loaned me The Corrections.

Sigh, sigh, sigh, I'm going to go lie down.

We had our New Years last night with Anne and Peter at the Cliff House Bar. An old Swing jazz band played. A & P treated us to a bottle of bubbly stuff and a cheese plate.

Wish we lived a little closer.
Love,
Linda

---------

From: Katy
Date: January 1, 2012 7:16:35 AM PST
Subject: 20card12
To: Linda

Food card for you, combined with health concerns and issues. But truly, it looks like a mafia front to me. Happy New Year. Eat everything.