Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Successful Psychotherapy

















I've mentioned a couple of times the fact that I have a wise therapist. Yesterday we had one of our most productive sessions ever.

My therapist keeps an electric heater by the couch. I usually ask if I can turn it on. Halfway through the session, he usually asks if I would mind turning it down a little.

Yesterday I happened to mention a pair of fake UGG's. I had thrown them into the shopping cart at Nordstrom Rack. But then I regressed, returning them to the shoe counter instead of proceeding up to the cash register with them.

Me: I don't know ... UGG's were all the rage a couple years ago. I didn't like them. But I tried this pair on yesterday, and they were so warm.

Therapist
nods encouragingly.

Me
: Would you wear them?


Therapist
: Me? No. But I think they'd be fine for you.
(Glances at the heater, which is glowing red.)

Me
: OK, good. One more question. You and I both know that light tan is really the correct color for these boots. But I like the black ones. What do you think?


Therapist
: Black is a good color.

Me
: I mean, I know those boots look clunky. But they're so warm. So you think I should buy them?


Therapist
: Yes. Would you mind turning down the heater a little?