Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pilgram (sp.?) In A Playboat



















© Linda Davick



It was rainy and windy on the beach this evening. But getta loada this hair I found! I think it must have been from a little Hawaiian skirt. When I tried it on a triangular black rock closer to the water, the ocean snuck up on me and carried it away.





E-mail from Luci

(referring to spelling comment from last Sunday's post): Would you like to bet whether Marie's blog is Pilgrim in a Playboat instead of Pilgram? :)

After I opened Luci's message this morning, I went straight to Marie's blog. I was horrified to find that Marie had spelled the word "Pilgram" wrong. And in the title of her blog! And that it had been misspelled ever since she started her blog, and no one had called it to her attention. Would she not be humiliated? After all, she was getting ready to graduate from a prestigious New England university.

Casually I typed "pilgram" into my online Oxford dictionary, just to be sure. No such word! I glanced at my links and it gradually dawned on me whose mistake it was.

Later ...
From: Luci
Subject: pointy stone
Date: May 3, 2007 1:32:36 PM PDT
To: Linda

I’m sorry I didn’t mention it earlier, like … since you first put her link (grin & wink). I am the one with the worst grammar in my family, everyone always correct me --- even Christer (ever since he can talk). My defense is English is not my first language. And, my first language has no form of past tense, present tense, singular, or plural, etc. But, I can’t use that excuse in my family because my mom, aunts, and uncle have no such problem. My grandfather passed away when I was eight. Had he lived longer, I’d probably have better grammar. He was known to return people’s mail with grammatical/spelling correction written in red ink. Having enough experience from my lovely family of grammar bullies, I hope you understand why I didn’t point it out much earlier. As all points go … they’re generally pointy à ouch!

Love, Luci.