Saturday, September 23, 2006

5K Race Tomorrow

After reading Nina's blog yesterday, I decided to make running a 5K race one of my goals. To prove my earnestness, I googled "5K San Francisco." One of the first things that came up was the Dolphins South End Runners Web Site. Damn! There happened to be a 5K this Sunday (tomorrow) in Golden Gate Park, which is walking distance for me. I thought, "No way. This is too soon," and went to bed.

Today I woke up and thought, "Oh why not. I'll be jogging Sunday anyway, and I can get it over with early in the morning. Nobody will know me." (Have you heard Nobody Knows Me At All by the Weepies?) It's very comforting to live in a big city where nobody knows me at all.
It was too late to sign up–but just to prove my earnestness, I e-mailed the race director. Double damn! I found out that if I showed up at 8:00, I could register on the spot.

The race is tomorrow morning at 9:00. Tonight I prepared by carbo-loading. I ate half a leftover burrito for an appetizer, then half a pizza for dinner. I also drank half a bottle of red wine, since red wine is on the highly beneficial list for my blood type diet. So if there are lots of misspellings in this post, that's why. I can highly recommend Ravenswood 2004 Napa Valley Zinfandel to you, unless you're Scott, my wine aficionado friend.

This won't be my first 5K race. I ran one 18 years ago when we lived in Tennessee. I came in last. But I still won a 3rd place trophy, because only 3 women in my age group signed up.