Saturday, August 05, 2006

Barbara's Low Fat Muffins


















photo by Linda Davick

e-mail from Barbara:
Leenda I am walking everyday (well 6 days a week) in the gym though, because it's too hot outside and trying to lose those 10 pounds. I went to Realage.com, to see what my real age is and after the test, they told me I am in fact 48.2 years old... One of the things they recommend for me if I want to become younger, is considering taking a dog...........

Here is the recipe:
OATMEAL BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1 cup non fat yoghurt
2 tbsp. butter (you can lower that)
1 1/4 cup unbleached flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1 cup oats
1/2 cup sugar (you can lower that)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (you can leave that off if you want)
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line medium muffin pan with paper baking cups. Mix all ingredients except blueberries in medium bowl just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 min. or until golden brown.

If you make 6 muffins and you put the walnuts in them that it's about 377 calories each.

I have a hair appointment at 11.00, speaking about hair.

I didn't get around to making them until today. I doubled the recipe so I could take some to Emmy and Chef John next door. Some observations:

Since they're so low in fat, don't be afraid to ice and decorate them with abandon.
• I got 9 muffins for every 6 of Barbara's, so each muffin above contains only 248.82 calories.
• If you have a hair appointment, don't forget to turn off the oven.