Wednesday, August 16, 2006

$50 Gift Certificate

















Two years ago when I got my cell phone, I got a $50 gift certificate for Sharper Image. Today I had a doctor's appointment downtown, so I decided it was time to use the gift certificate before it disintegrated.

But there was nothing at Sharper Image. Nothing. Pillows that astronauts use, huge unwieldy vibrators, CD spinners, remote control dogs that were not cute. I left. After lunch, on the way back to the parking garage, I played the abyss game. I told myself that either I had to use the gift certificate today, or fall into the abyss.

Here's what I ended up with: a 10 piece silicone Flexi-Cake set in a battered box, marked down from $49.95 to $29.95. Then I grabbed 2 Stretchy Centipedes and 3 Puffer Balls out of the toy section so that I would spend almost exactly $50.

But back to the cake set. The box says: Also great for popsicles, ice-cream, and Jell-O!!! But has either of my readers ever really baked using these rubbery things? Do they not melt in a glob at the bottom of your oven?

5 comments:

platitudinal said...

No, they do not melt into a rubbery glob. I use them to bake muffins and breads, their flexibility make it a cinch to release the baked goodies. Say, is that a madeleine mold? Oooohhhh. :)

Waterfall said...

I got these for Christmas last year and use them for muffins--haven't tried them for breads yet. Included was a cookie sheet that I tried to use for cookies, but I preferred the old-fashioned cookie sheet. The rubbery ones were too ... rubbery. But no, they don't melt. And like the previous commenter said, they make it really easy to turn out the baked goodies.

linda said...

to both of my readers: thank you for the votes of confidence! Platitudinal, do you want the madeleine mold?

platitudinal said...

Yes, I do :) How much would you like for it?

linda said...

You can email me your address at
linda@lindadavick.com
& I'll send it to you snail mail.
I wish I could email it, but I can't figure out how.