Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Daniel Handler













Daniel Handler has a surprisingly sweet face; but it's his shoes we're interested in. He was at A Clean Well-Lighted Place for Books tonight reading from his new book called Adverbs. You may know him as Lemony Snicket, writer of A Series of Unfortunate Events. He also wrote the screenplay for the movie, with Jim Carey as Count Olaf, and Meryl Streep as Aunt Josephine. Remember Sunny, the baby who bit everything in her path?

He said it meant a lot for him to be at this particular bookstore, being that it was here where he bought his first book with his own money: The Blue Aspic by Edward Gorey.

Daniel's mom was there. She kept going on and on not about Daniel's new book, but Daniel's wife's new book, How to Be.

When I took his portrait, he was very apologetic about his shoes and the condition they were in. He said that he had bad feet. When I asked him what he meant, he said that about the time they started making great sneakers (and he pointed to my huge blue shoes), his feet went bad. The doctor told him never to wear sneakers ever again. A most unfortunate event.

Doc Martens are his shoe, and only in black. He says they're getting harder and harder to find in black. Last time he came across them in black, he bought three pairs. I understood. In fact, when I bought the pair I had on (Nike Foamposites) and realized how perfect they were for me, I went back to Nordstrom Rack and bought 2 more pairs.