Thursday, February 02, 2012

Other People's Mail

From: Katy
Date: February 2, 2012 12:36:13 PM PST
Subject: disorienting
To: Linda

Linda, this is disorienting:

Sitting in the J'boro laundromat, 15 miles or so from Davy Crockett's birthplace, watching television, watching John Wayne's The Alamo, in fact. John Wayne as Davy Crockett, Richard Widmark as Jim Bowie, and Frankie Avalon as Smitty, one of Davy's Tennessee volunteers. Frankie sent me over the Moviegoer edge. What would Walker Percy have done? While thinking of Dr Percy I listened to a customer describe her depression and change of medication. She's now on Cymbalta (rather than her old medicine) AND Haldol. She was as friendly and chirpy as could be, discussing housekeeping and dishwashing and such with another lady ...

How are you? What's cooking tonight?

I bought a Godiva chocolate bar today at the discount grocery.

Katy

From: Linda
Date: February 2, 2012 8:29:38 PM PST
Subject: Re: disorienting
To: Katy

I love your email. Can I post it?

I'm OK, really excited because the publisher I'm working with now wants a totally different style for this book--a loose sketchy style that I've never done other than when talking on the phone. But I just found this out today and the book is due end of this month. That is rilly soon. Today I had lunch with Mary Ann, my book friend. When I told her about the schedule she asked, "Do you have a plan?" I was stunned. What a good idea. Of course I didn't have a plan. But now I will make a plan.

Tonight we had takeout--a green bean salad, bread that Tom bought especially for me (covered with seeds), hummus, and spinach salad with slimy mushrooms. I mixed some wine with some aspartame lime/tangerine Safeway fizzy water. Chocolate with salt on it and barbeque potato chips for dessert with leftover coffee ...


Mary Ann and her plan (and me) at Mandalay for lunch