Saturday, April 05, 2008

Kveta Pacovska – Somebody Help!


Kveta Pacovska from The Little Match Girl
I still dream about the computer game Alphabet, illustrated by Kveta Pacovska. I had to get my friend Helen to buy it for me when she was in Germany. I can't use it any more because it doesn't work with OSX.

The other day I decided to Google Kveta. I found lots of books illustrated by her, and went on a spree. I ordered 5.

Help! Yesterday I discovered that she's done a new interactive game! It's called Midnight Play. I'm dying to get my hands on it. It's down-loadable. But what's all this about torrents and seeds and leeches? I have to install a Bit Torrent(?) in order to download it. Is this because it's P2P; and is this a safe thing to do?

One of the wildest things I found out about Kveta Pacovska is that she's 80 years old.

About books, she says: A book is architecture for me. It is a given sealed space into which I compose painted, written, cut and empty pages.

A drawing is such as it is. It should not and cannot pretend. It expresses our feelings and our thoughts. I love all materials. They are tempting. I like to work with all. But that isn’t possible. When I choose a material, I conform to its rules and I try not to violate them…


White and black are not included in the colour spectrum but for me they are colours and mean maximum contrast. And maximum contrast is the maximum beauty. I am striving for maximum contrast. Red and green. The placing of colours one over the other. It depends on the relation, proportion, rhythm, size, amount and how we placed colours together.
It is like music. Each individual tone is beautiful by itself and in certain groupings we create new dimensions, harmony, disharmony, symphonies, operas and books for children.


Kveta Pacovska from Unfold/Enfold