Saturday, January 26, 2008

Paints & Brushes & Candy

















If you happened to e-mail me to inquire about my availability for a $50,000 job last night or this morning, would you please send the e-mail again?

Can you believe I let my domain name expire? For 16 hours, for all practical purposes, I ceased to exist. Not only did my web site disappear, but so did my e-mail address. So if you sent me a message and I didn't respond, please re-send. Even if it wasn't to inquire about a huge commission. Katy, I never heard back how the black & white dog sleeping under the blanket on your porch came to adopt you.

The rain let up today and this evening we hightailed it down to the beach for a long walk. We've basically been shut-ins for the past two days. We did turn off the sump pump last night and drive to the Woody Allen movie. For the first time in our 8 years in San Francisco, we both carried umbrellas.

Not getting out to jog for the past few days–and being shut in with a cupboard full of chocolate and salted almonds–has been too much fun. This evening Tom made a pizza. After dinner, the bag of dark chocolate covered toffee (best in the world) and the bag of roasted, salted almonds suddenly materialized on the table again. I made a pot of coffee, had a few bites of chocolate, then:

Me (pushing the bag of candy away): Tom? Would you please help me NOT to eat any more chocolate?

Tom
: No.

Me
: Please!


Tom
: No.

Me
: WHY??


Tom: Because if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's never to come between you and your food.