Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Secret Life of Words

I love it when something like this happens: Tom brought home some movies a few days ago. I wasn't too interested in the one called The Secret Life of Words; I thought it was about the guy who makes up crossword puzzles for the New York Times. Last night we turned on the fire and I plopped down on the FatBoy, looking forward to watching Breaking and Entering. To my surprise, Tom had already seen it the night before, and the word movie began. Reluctantly I settled in and decided I'd give it a try.

It turned out that it wasn't about the crossword puzzle editor at all! That's Wordplay. The one we watched is by Almodóvar (All About my Mother and Talk to Her are 2 of my favorites). But back to the point: The Secret Life of Words is the best movie I've seen all year. Oops. It's directed by Isabel Coixet (?) and produced by Almodóvar. Still. The best movie I've seen in two years. How about you? Seen anything extraordinary lately?