Saturday, August 18, 2012

Today's Prompt: A bottle of pills




















Once in while if you're fortunate, a book can do as much for you as a bottle of pills. I can't believe my luck lately: I've just finished reading a great book, and I've just started a book that's one of those I'm scared to read too fast for fear it will be over too soon.

The book I just finished is called HOW TO BE A WOMAN by Caitlin Moran. After I read the free sample I immediately bought it. I was so excited that I posted a comment on Facebook that said:

"Just downloaded HOW TO BE A WOMAN." Immediately Bobby wrote in response, "Good luck, Linda."

It's a book about living life with two X chromosomes. It's fun-loving, serious, and unabashedly feminist.

About the 2nd book! If I could write like anybody in the whole wide world––if you asked me that question today, I would say, "Maria Semple." Hers is the book I just started and it's called WHERE'D YOU GO, BERNADETTE. Wow, wow, wow, ha-ha, and wow. (Obviously I can't write as well as she does quite yet.)

My eyes are burning today because I stayed up until 2:30 a.m. reading it. I couldn't stop.

First thing I did at breakfast––before I even poured the coffee––was to bring it up and check the line at the bottom of the screen that shows how far you've read. I was so relieved to find I still had 2/3's to go. I immediately slammed it shut so I wouldn't finish the whole thing before lunch.