Thursday, August 09, 2012

Sea Glass and Gumbo



















The tide has been low in the evenings the past week and I've been bringing home glass by the pocketfuls. (Plus one green guitar pick found over by the fire pits.)

The present is a book for Nina, who starts preschool soon!

Last night Emmy and John had us over for our birthdays and we had a stupendous meal.

Soon as we walked in Emmy herded us over to the appetizers. Crackers, cheeses, gigantic salted nuts, a fresh fruit salad, 3 bottles of wine standing by. My place card at the table was a huge box of Mary Janes, and Tom's place card was a box of Sugar Babies.

John had seafood gumbo on the stove and cornbread in the oven. A pear cobbler baked while we ate. Everything was gluten-free. Do you believe these people? The wine flowed.

After dessert John took everyone's blood pressure with his new blood pressure kit and we all rolled on the floor laughing.

Emmy sent me home with a bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies.

It took me 6 times longer today than it usually does to do any one thing. I did not venture outside this evening nor did I want for one drop of wine.