Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Metamorphosis
























© Linda Davick

Well, I want to write some letters. On my last letterhead–from 7 or 8 years ago–the bird with the note coming out of its mouth (1st image) was printed really BIG. It was transparent so you could type over it. Recently it started looking unfriendly to me. And I decided I wanted to use a tiny bright image instead. So the bird morphed into a more rounded character with big round ears. ("I'm a good listener.") But then I thought: That mouth is wrong. What if the mouth were the same weight as the legs and feet? I kind of liked how the smile went from eye to eye instead of from ear to ear, because I use my eyes as much as my ears, if not more.

Then I thought, the creature should say something about how I love working on the computer. So the body started taking the shape of a computer pad. But then I thought, should the ears be pointier? Should I have arms and legs? Then I thought: Should I try to look like a girl? That's where I always seem to run into trouble, getting dressed and doing hair. If you have any suggestions, please don't hold back.

Do you find this to be true? A lot of business letters today are simply typed into the body of an email. When a letter is typed onto a letterhead, usually the letter will be read as a PDF, not as a printed piece.