Thursday, September 03, 2009

Seeing Spots


Add Image










I've been drawing tiny faces–hundreds of them–all day. I'm illustrating the exponential function. Yes, me, the one who failed algebra. And now I'm seeing spots before my eyes.

My phone rang at 5:15 a.m. yesterday. Mom suddenly was being admitted to a psychiatric hospital for 5 to 10 days. Ja-Lene had planned a picnic with her grandmother and my mom at a park, but things happened fast. She ended up helping Mom pack a suitcase. Instead of going to the park, she managed to pull off the picnic outside at the Terrace. And then the van drove up to pick Mom up, and the driver said that no suitcases were allowed!

Ja-Lene wouldn't take no for an answer, so she and her grandmother jumped in their car with Mom's suitcase and followed the van all the way to Jasper, TN. Then she and her grandmother stayed with Mom while she was admitted. Tears of gratitude for this person named Ja-Lene.