Friday, February 20, 2009

Write About This Photo

This is the third week of my writing class. We're given daily prompts, and sometimes the prompt is a photo instead of a phrase. Every day, no excuses, we write for 10 minutes–12 minutes max–and hit the send button. Our writing partner changes every week. This was today's write.



























Jane Underwood

That's our marriage counselor, Eugene Alexander! Except Gene wears socks. He's one of my favorite people in the whole universe.

One time I asked him, "Gene? Do you ever tell your wife you love her?"

"All the time!" he roared.

"Well ... when?"

"What?"

"When do you tell her. Like, do you tell her you love her first thing in the morning, soon as you wake up?"

"GOD NO!"

-------

One time I asked him, "Gene? Do you think everything that happens, happens for a reason?"

"HELL NO!"

I said, "Well what about that movie, 'What the Bleep Do We Know'?"

"BULLSHIT!"

-------

One time Gene met Tom and me coming up the steps.

"Do we have an appointment today?" he asked.

We stepped into his office and he consulted his calendar. "Huh-oh," he said. "I screwed up."

We said it was OK. He said, "I feel terrible about this. I've never done this before."

I said, "I know how you can make it up to us. Next time we come, tell us a great movie we should watch."

Next time we came he handed us a yellow piece of paper filled with movie titles. "I felt so bad that I made you a whole list of movies," he said.

Here's what was on his list:

Persona

The Five Obstructions

Red Beard

Breaking the Waves

Take My Eyes

The Life of Others

Water

Spring Summer Fall Winter Spring

You, Me and Everyone We Know

Solaris

Andre Rublev