Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A group of women (prompt)

This is the third week of my writing class. We're given daily prompts. Every day, no excuses, we write for 10 minutes–12 minutes max–and hit the send button. Our writing partner changes every week. This was my favorite piece from last week.

Walking by Neiman Marcus one morning after my doctor's appointment, I had to work my way around a group of women outside the door. Big deal, I thought. So what. Give me a break. I found myself having to walk out into the street in order to turn the corner.


That's when I heard one of them mention 3 words: "Garnier," "Ultra," and "Lift." I turned in my tracks and glommed on to the group. The night before I had received this email from my friend Jamie, in Berlin. Jamie is a boy, but I'm finding that sometimes boys know the best tricks:

From: jamie
Subject: new project
Date: February 10, 2009 1:32:00 AM PST
To: linda


New project: Do you know about Garnier Ultra Lift? Not that you should, or would. But I picked up a tube of this during the last trip to New York. The package is green, and it's designed like a caulking tube. According to the directions it targets deep wrinkles. That's exactly what I've been looking for; a product to target a certain area on either side of my mouth and around my eyes. And under my eyes. I think it's working, or targeting. Pics TKTKTK.

Much love,
Jamie

Subject: Re: new project
From: linda
Date: February 10, 2009 9:06:19 AM PST
To: jamie


Help! I'm trying to find Garnier Ultra Lift but keep getting:

Currently unavailable.

We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.


Not that you should, or would know: but do you happen to know if it works on jowls?


Love,
Linda

From: jamie
Subject: Re: new project
Date: February 10, 2009 9:32:00 AM PST
To: linda


I am researching for jowl problems of my own and will let you know what I find out. In the meantime, try wearing three different turtlenecks in succession. (Fine now, but not sure what to suggest come warm weather.)

Love,
Jamie

--------------
When the door opened, the group of women moved as one giant mass to a white counter piled high with green packages designed like caulking tubes. I felt myself being squashed and carried along upright–I didn't have to move my feet at all. I was tense. Would I get a tube? Would there be any Garnier Ultra Lift left?

It turns out I wasn't one of the lucky ones. I walked outside, took a deep breath, and assessed the situation. I headed over to Ross Dress for Less and bought 21 different colored turtlenecks–enough so that I could wear 3 a day for a whole week.