Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Presto (Hartford, con't)

E-mail from Aggles today: So what was Mom worried about? Last night she told me she was very excited and that she hoped I got to go!

(You're telling me. Mom isn't even supposed to remember anything after four seconds have passed.)

E-mail from me to Aggles: She said that she had had a pretty good day around there yesterday. When you first told her, she had been OK with it. But she said later, things changed. When it gets dark and she's by herself, things seem scarier. She thought Hartford must be very far away, and that it might be dangerous. I told her no place was more dangerous than Atlanta, where you already lived! (Bad idea). I told her you'd only be there for a couple of months. (Bad. You had told her weeks.) She thought Hartford was a big city, too big. I told her I'd do some research and send it to her on the Presto, and that the info would be there in the morning when she woke up and it wasn't so dark. Here's what I sent her:

FACTS ABOUT HARTFORD

Mark Twain (1835–1910), moved to Hartford in 1874 and lived in Hartford for a number of years. Mark Twain wrote many of his most famous works in Hartford, including The Gilded Age, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Roughing It, and his most read and controversial, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Hartford is the capital of the State of Connecticut. It is located in Hartford County on the Connecticut River, north of the center of the state. As of 2006, it had a population of 124,512.
There were 155,554 people in Chattanooga. (Hartford is smaller than Chattanooga.)

Hartford is home to Elizabeth Park, featuring the oldest and largest municipal rose garden in the country.

But what I want to praise tonight on my blog is: Presto! by Hewlett Packard. Have you heard about it? It's for people who can't or don't want to use computers, but who still like to receive e-mail and pictures. I set one up for Mom a couple of weeks ago. The person who has the Presto doesn't have to do anything. The Presto simply collects e-mail 3 times a day, whenever you have asked it to, and spits it out on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. It takes ink, like any printer. It costs $100.