Thursday, August 06, 2015

Coming Soon: My SCBWI Los Angeles Adventure


Prelude

If you know me at all, you will know something very special was going on when I tell you this: I wore a dress every day for five days. Above: I've already spilled coffee on Dress Number One, and I haven't even left San Francisco.

SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) is the most rewarding organization I've ever joined, and that's coming from a rigorous non-joiner.

It's hard to describe how wonderful this conference is. Did I mention that this post is being written by a hard-core avoider of meetings?  There are so many things I'm dying to write about this gathering––but for now, here are some snapshots.

My amazing editor Allyn Johnston, and the mucho-talented Marla Frazee.

Me, Mem, and Meg  (Mem Fox, and Meg Fleming).

Fancy Nancy and Mimi  (Jane O'Connor and me)

F.Y.I.  This is what an ash tray looks like outside a kids' book conference.