Sunday, July 14, 2013

Back to School
























It's always kind of scary attending a class for the first time. Any class. No matter how old you are.

I always want to arrive late. Not really late, but I like to be the last person who's "on time." I donno. I like to have a seat in the back, on the edge of things.

The good thing about this particular chair is that it happens to be right by the snack table. I think I'm the only one who's had a cookie so far?

I'm excited. I feel kind of dumb. There are 14 of us. It's fun to look up and see everybody else looking down, writing. It reminds me of that feeling you got when you were in church and the congregation was in the middle of a prayer--when you would open your eyes and peek around, and see everyone else with their eyes closed, earnest.

It smells good in here. Maybe it's the ginger cookies. There's a big unopened jar of salted nuts. Will anyone dare crack the seal?

The class is called Writing Children's Picture Books: More than Just Child's Play and it's taught by Shirin Bridges.