Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mom's Brain / My Brain










Diagnostic
Radiology
Consultants



Aggles: I didn't tell you the really awful thing that happened last weekend when I was visiting Mom, did I.
Me: I don't know. Should you?
Aggles: It will probably happen when you visit, so I probably should.
Me, bracing myself: OK.
Aggles: Mom and I were sitting in her living room talking. She looked over toward the sliding glass door and said, "I believe the artificial plant your Aunt Mary gave me is getting blossoms on it." I said, "You believe the artificial plant Aunt Mary gave you is getting blossoms on it?" She said, "Yes. I've been watering it." I went over and sure enough, there was water in the saucer it was sitting in.

I burst out laughing. I couldn't help it. The book that Luci gave me, How to Care For Aging Parents, says it's OK to laugh sometimes. Then I grew solemn.

Me: Aggles? This reminds me of something I did one time. I had just read this book by Carlos Castaneda where somebody was on such a spiritual journey that the car he was driving never seemed to need gas. It just kept going without needing to be refilled. It was back when I had the green Fiat. A little while after I finished reading the book, it seemed like my gas tank was staying 1/2 full for the longest time. After a week and a half of this, I started wondering. But I thought, "Well why shouldn't it stay 1/2 full? I'm on a spiritual journey, too, am I not?" Then one day when Evie's sister was in town, the three of us were on our way somewhere in the car, and it suddenly stopped. We had no idea what was wrong. I had it towed to the shop. They couldn't figure out what was wrong. A day later, I got a call from the mechanic. He said, "Ma'am? Your gas tank is completely empty." It turned out that the gas gauge needed to be replaced.