Sunday, October 20, 2013

Katie just got back from a 5-day meditation retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh. She came over this afternoon for tea.

She told about how this 87-year old man would lead them on walks in the morning. They would begin around 5:45 when it was still dark. The stars would still be out.

Get this: One thousand people showed up for the retreat, and one thousand people would follow this man up the hill. While they were walking the sun would come up and by the time they returned to the center, it was light.

I told Tom all this later, as he and I were walking on the beach. "Katie said Thich Nhat Hanh is known for his walking meditations," I explained. "He says to walk as if you're kissing the Earth with your feet."

"But 5:45 … before breakfast? I'd be meditating on breakfast throughout the whole walk!"

"Me too," I admitted. "But I'm sure soon as they got back, he would cook breakfast for everybody."

"Bacon and eggs!"

That's Tom for you. But back to Katie: Relaxed and beautiful. In the photo she's showing me a photo of the hill where they walked.