Saturday, September 28, 2013

My Very First Rejection Letter

me, Isabel Warren-Lynch, Melissa Greenberg at the SCBWI SF Illustrator Day at Ft. Mason
Twenty years ago my friend Debbie and I wrote and illustrated a children's book called RAT LOVE. We had no idea what to do with it, so we bought a copy of THE CHILDREN'S WRITER'S & ILLUSTRATOR'S MARKET. We noticed Isabel's name in the book under Random House.We had heard of that company, so we sent her a copy. She wrote us back right away: the nicest rejection letter. Call me crazy, but I was elated. A letter from a real publishing company! Later on (ten years later) Isabel assigned a book to me to illustrate. And after that, five more. Eight book covers, too.

Can you believe I finally met her in person today? Along with Melissa Greenberg, who was my art director?