Tuesday, November 20, 2012

5:08 p.m.



















I had a great jog/walk this evening. Tom was in a meeting and it was really tempting to stay home. The tide was high--I knew that--but I headed down the sidewalk to the beach anyway.

No one was there. It was dreary and the wind was fierce. But it was blowing from the south, so it wasn't as cold as it could've been. Still, I was wearing a baseball cap with my mom's cashmere cap on top of that, then my hoodie from my running top--and to top it off, the hood attached to my lightweight down jacket.

I got almost to the end of the dunes then turned around. It was easy street going back, because the wind pushed me from behind. I took off two of my hats. By the time I got to Lincoln it was dark, and I cut over to the concrete boardwalk.

I love walking--and walking alone, even though it's creepy sometimes. When I turned up Balboa, I noticed an elderly man running up the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street with only a towel wrapped around him.

A few blocks later, I heard an enraged shout: "NO, YOU MOTHERFUCKER, I WOULD NEVER DO THAT! IT'S AGAINST THE LAW!" I looked across the street and the guy was shaking the big blue mailbox on the corner with all his might. Then he turned and ran back down the street.

My neighborhood is so interesting. I thought, "If anything like this had ever happened in the 20 years Tom and I went for walks in our TN neighborhood, it would have been talked about for a decade."